Saturday, June 18, 2011

My first 5K

I hate running.  I always have.  I don't mind doing it if is for another reason like playing dodge ball, but running just for the purpose of running has never been an interest of mine.
So why I decided to run a 5k I don't know.  I had been considering it for the past few months and then I saw a discount to join one on living social.  So I convinced Brian to do it and we signed up.

We arrived about 8:00 this morning which gave us just enough time to get registered and visit the booths they had set up there.  It was a combination 5k/ Stroller roll and kids fun run.  It was to encourage family fitness so they had games and a jump house for the kids to enjoy.  Brian enjoyed the Einstein Bros. Bagel booth which was giving away free samples of blueberry muffins and chocolate chip cookies.

Here we are in our pre-race warm ups:




I didn't think the race would be too difficult- because even though I don't look like it- I actually do exercise regularly.  On the rare occasion I do decide to run at the gym I usually do 4 miles and that is not hard.  I started to get nervous when I was looking up information online and people were talking about training for a 5k.  Is this something I need to train for?!  Because I definitely haven't done that.

I was able to do the first mile without much problems, but by mile 2 I was really starting to feel it.  The race course was up and down hill and on the up hill portions I was really struggling.  My jog was as fast as Brian's walk.  Brian had set 2 goals for me before the race. 1. Not to get passed by any of the 5k stroller rollers (who were starting 5 minutes after the regular 5kers)  and 2.  to beat the guy with no legs.  I am sad to say I did not accomplish either goal.  The first stroller passed me at the beginning of the 2nd mile and I knew it was the beginning of many more strollers passing me by.

Halfway through mile 2 I met a 12 year old boy who encouraged me to pick up my pace because I was being timed.  He also encouraged Brian to actually run since he was walking beside me while I jogged.  Not to be out done by a 12 year old we both picked up our pace a little bit, but he was much faster then us and soon out of sight.

After what felt like forever we finally finished the 3rd mile.  My muscles were sore and my legs were starting to feel like jelly.  Brian really wanted to finish with a better time then me so he took off once we had reached the parking lot where the finish line was.  The whole course had been very well marked but once we reached the parking lot it was confusing about where we should go since they were holding a fair with booths it was kind of unclear.  So I watched Brian walk over to one of the booths and just stand there.  I knew he hadn't crossed the finish line, so I waited for some of the ladies behind me to catch up and followed them as they seemed to know where they were going.  I checked on Brian again and sure enough he was still standing by one of the booths looking around to see where I had gone.  I thought for sure I would beat him since I was only about 30 feet from the finish line.  Just as I was about to cross this person whizzes past me.  Brian had found me just in time.  He finished 1 second ahead of me in the official standings.

After the race they had free sandwiches, pizza and jamba juice.  We helped ourselves to the food while we sat and watched the kids compete in the fun run.

Overall it was a good experience.  I pushed myself to do something I wouldn't typically do, and Brian didn't hate it like he thought he would.  Maybe we will do another 5k in the future- although if I get beat by a man with no legs again I think I will retire from running for good.

1 comment: